What does the Liver do? ( here are some of the more commonly known functions of the liver)
Produces bile, which helps carry away waste from the liver and/or break down fats in the small intestine.
Helps in resisting infections by making immune factors and removing bacteria from the bloodstream as the blood flows through the liver.
Helps with the production of cholesterol and special proteins to help carry fats around the body.
Converts excess glucose into glycogen for storage, so to balance and make glucose as needed.
Processing of hemoglobin for use of the iron it stores.
Clears the blood of drugs and other poisonous substances
Regulates blood clotting
Regulation of blood levels of amino acids, which form the the building blocks of proteins.
Over 500 functions have been identified with the liver, making it one of the most important organs in the human body.
Here are 10 suggestions to help achieve liver health
1. Maintain a healthy weight, know your BMI, WtHR, and WHR.
2. Eat a balanced diet Canada food guide 2019
3. Exercise regularly, to help burn triglycerides for fuel and help reduce liver fat.
4. Avoid Toxins such as common house hold chemical cleaners, aerosols, insecticides and additives these can damage lever cells. Create your safe haven
5. Use alcohol responsibly and avoid illicit drugs. Alcohol abuse can cause liver damage and scar your liver.
6. Get medical care if you are exposed to another persons blood.
7. Do not share personal hygiene items such as razors, toothbrushes or nail clippers
8. Wash your hands, before eating, after going the washroom, after diapering, when you get home from public places.
9. Practice safe sex if you have it with multiple partners
10. Follow directions on all medications, never mix with alcohol.
WE HOPE YOU HAVE A HAPPY HEALTHY LIVER MONTH!